Barn Quilt Progress
The theme for our first barn quilt is a constellation of friendship stars in homage to the many wonderful friends we have made in this journey through the quilting cosmos.
1. We laid out all the areas to be painted green and then red.
2. We cut a 1/2 inch groove in some 2x2 cedar to make a frame. In quiltspeak this would be a binding.
3. Pro tip: No matter how hard you press the tape, when the surface is uneven there will be some paint seeping underneath, spoiling those perfectly straight lines. To minimize this, we sealed the tape with the background colour. It adds a step but lessens the need for touch ups.
4. Ooops,, still needed a few touch ups!
5. The frame glued and clamped.
6. One final step, we are putting a bead of clear caulk around the frame to keep water out. When that cures it will be ready to hang.
Helen Maslowski is the owner and operator of Cedar House Quilting. She is ably assisted by her most charming partner Geoffrey. (Can you guess who wrote this?)